Happy New Year!! 😀
Most of us make some sort of resolution each year, usually things that aren’t terribly fun and often abandoned after a few weeks. This year, my resolution is a little challenge that will hopefully be fun, not quickly abandoned and also improve my skills. It will be to create a new murrini (or millefiori) and post it each Monday. I’m going to post these sometimes here but each week for sure over on my new Instagram account (@studioambenz) under #murrinimonday.
For the first week of the year – this murrini comes with a bit of a story. I actually created it last year (had to if it was going to come on Jan 1!). It is a bit special as the pattern is actually my logo.
Since starting in mosaics, I’ve always signed the back of my art with my name and a piece of murrini, but it was commercially made murrini and the pattern wasn’t anything special or related to me.
I wanted to make my logo in murrini and start using that in my signature instead. The design is a stylized frog foot – (read why by clicking here)– doesn’t look too hard on paper but try building that from nothing with molten glass!
You have to slowly build up the design. A bit of black glass for the middle, then add a toe, fill in some green. All the while keeping it warm enough so it won’t blow up but not too much that it melts out of shape! It is an intense amount of very focused work.
It took 2.5 hrs to create the design and the blob of glass was HUGE! When you’re doing murrini you’re holding your blob in a flame and constantly rotating it, kind of like a rotisserie chicken. As the blob gets bigger, it can get quite heavy, it is hard work on the shoulders and neck, especially after 2.5 hours of constant movement!
The I day made it, there were several people in the studio. My blob got way bigger than originally intended and drew a bit of attention (I’m not good with attention….). It was so big another person helped me hold one end when it came time to pull as there was going to be more glass than the width of my arms! We pulled, I cut it so it would fit in the kiln to cool down and in that one cut could see it looked good. I was so worn out and shaky after the intense 2.5 hrs that I had to sit down and rest before getting in my car to go home.
Wish me luck in my attempt to stick with the resolution and create 52 murrini this year! Hopefully the end of the year will show 52 interesting patterns and some improved skills.
Best wishes to all of you for a wonderful, healthy prosperous 2018 and success in any resolutions you choose to undertake! 😀
heating up the final blob
just starting to pull
the final result!
Week 1 – my logo in murrini